Wednesday, November 21, 2018
Comm & Media week is an annual spring event showcasing aspects of communication and media in our personal and professional lives, and encouraging critical engagement and discussion outside of the classroom. The schedule is designed to bring students into contact with visiting scholars, professionals, community members, and alumni. Comm & Media Week thus serves to raise awareness of the department’s programs, and to develop relationships among students, faculty, alumni, and the community. In 2018, we had a conversation on “Women, Leadership, and Communication” with TAMUCC President Kelly Quintanilla; a mixer for communication and media students, alumni, and professionals; a keynote from Dr. Miranda Banks (Emerson College); a film screening and discussion at the Alamo Drafthouse; and a luncheon and discussion held in conjunction with the Public Relations Society of America, San Antonio chapter. Over 250 people participated in these activities. In 2019, some of the events open to the TAMUCC and Corpus Christi community will include a lecture from visiting scholar Courtney Brannon Donoghue, a film screening and discussion with Professor Emeritus Bill Huie, and a social mixer and internship fair with local communication and media professionals. Additional events will depend on funds raised. Stay tuned!
Wednesday, April 11, 2018
We are very lucky to have two university photographers, Edgar De La Garza and Lizbeth Flores, documenting our COMM & MEDIA WEEK events! Check all them out... If you participated, there's a good chance there's a photo of you!
April 02, 2018 – Women, Communication, and Leadership - https://islanduniversity.smugmug.com/Events/Events-By-Year/2018/040218-Comm-Media-Week-Women-Communication-and-Leadership/
April 03, 2018 – Networking Mixer - https://islanduniversity.smugmug.com/Events/Events-By-Year/2018/040318-COMM-and-Media-Week-Networking-Mixer
April 04, 2018 – Keynote Miranda Banks - https://islanduniversity.smugmug.com/Events/Events-By-Year/2018/040418-COMM-and-Media-Week-Keynote-Speaker-Dr-Miranda-Banks
April 04, 2018 – Dunkirk Film Screening - https://islanduniversity.smugmug.com/Events/Events-By-Year/2018/040418-Dunkirk-Film-Screening-COMM-Media-Week
April 05, 2018 – Room at the Top Game - https://islanduniversity.smugmug.com/Events/Events-By-Year/2018/040518-Room-at-the-Top-COMM-Media-Week
April 06, 2018 – PRSA Event - https://islanduniversity.smugmug.com/Events/Events-By-Year/2018/040618-Crisis-Response-and-Recovery-COMM-Media-Week
Monday, April 2, 2018
Monday, March 26, 2018
Last August, Hurricane Harvey ripped through South Texas leaving much destruction in its past with communities near and around Corpus Christi still trying to rebound from the damage. Join Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi's Department of Communication and Media and the Public Relations Society of America - San Antonio Chapter for an informative luncheon featuring municipality and company experts discussing how to handle weather emergencies and other threats that can damage a company's brand.
The luncheon is $30 for PRSA members and $40 for non-PRSA members. Professional PR communicators may also sponsor a student for just $10.
TAMU-CC Communication & Media students should contact Dr. Maresh-Fuehrer (email@example.com) prior to registering for a special promo code.
In order to register and reserve a spot for the luncheon, visit:
Wednesday, March 7, 2018
He has chosen what he believes to be the best picture of 2017, and will introduce and comment upon the film. This year's pic is DUNKIRK.
The screening is Wednesday, April 4, at 7-10 pm at the Alamo Drafthouse. Please join us to hang out with Dr. Huie and see a film that deserves to be seen (and heard) on the big screen! Admission is free, but limited to 100.
RESERVE YOUR TICKETS HERE!
DONATE AND GET YOUR NAME IN THE CREDITS ON THE BIG SCREEN HERE!
ABOUT THE FILM
DUNKIRK was nominated for eight Academy awards including Best Picture, and took home Oscars for Film Editing, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing. Synopsis: In the Spring of 1940, hundreds of thousands of British and Allied troops are trapped by German forces on the beaches of Dunkirk in northern France. The terrain precludes the use of large ships, compelling the military to request that civilian boats join the rescue efforts. While soldiers endure attacks and wait in fear, the RAF provides cover for the hundreds of small boats sailing the 26 miles from Britain.
ABOUT THE DRAFTHOUSE
· On Monday night, April 2, a public conversation on Women, Communication, and Leadership with TAMUCC President Kelly Quintanilla. UC Lonestar 142A, 7-9:30 pm. (OPEN TO ALL STUDENTS AND THE PUBLIC. REFRESHMENTS SERVED!)
· On Tuesday, April 3, a networking mixer for local communication & media professionals, our students, and alumni at House of Rock, 5-8 pm. (ALL COMM & MEDIA MAJORS AND LOCAL COMM & MEDIA PROFESSIONALS WELCOME! FREE PIZZA!)
· On Wednesday, April 4, keynote speaker Dr. Miranda Banks talks about current and past attempts to diversify the media industries. UC Oso Room 221, 3-4 pm. (OPEN TO ALL STUDENTS AND THE PUBLIC!)
· Also on Wednesday, April 4, a special film screening at the Alamo Drafthouse, hosted by Professor Emeritus Bill Huie, a TAMUCC institution and favorite of film students for many years. 7 -10 pm. (ADVANCED TICKETS AVAILABLE)
· On Thursday, April 5, Dr. Banks brings her game Room at the Top, a massively multiplayer card game about how we collaborate in creative environments, into the classroom. IH 163, 12:30-1:45 pm. (ALL COMM & MEDIA MAJORS WELCOME)
· On Friday, April 6, the San Antonio Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America will host a luncheon on campus and a discussion, Crisis Response and Recovery: Tips for Navigating Hurricanes and Other Company Disasters. UC Lone Star Ballroom A, 12:30 -1:30 pm. Open to the public, requires reservation.